Who We Are
- Our Mandate
- Our Vision & Mission
- Our Strategy
- Our Producers
- Annual Reports
- Annual Performance Plan
The State Diamond Trader is a state-owned entity established in terms of Section 14 of the Diamonds Act 56, 1986, as amended (“the Act”). It operates in the diamond industry with the aim to grow local diamond beneficiation.
The mandate of the State Diamond Trader is to buy and sell rough diamonds and to promote equitable access to and beneficiation of the country’s diamond resources. The entity strives to address distortions created by the country’s historical exclusion of certain population groups from economic participation. It aims to grow South Africa’s diamond cutting and polishing industry by enabling and increasing participation of Historically Disadvantaged South Africans (HDSAs) in the diamond beneficiation industry. The entity is empowered by law to purchase up to 10% of the run-of-mine (ROM) production from all diamond producers in South Africa. It sells to registered customers through an application and approval process.
The State Diamond Trader is a schedule 3B entity in terms of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), 1999, as amended.
To be the catalysts for the transformation and growth of the local diamond beneficiation industry.
- To ensure the acquisition of the equitable access to rough diamonds with a particular focus on HDSAs.
- To Promote the growth of globally competitive local diamond beneficiation industry through relevent interventions.
- To establish and maintain a transformed client base of local diamond beneficiation.
Minister of Mineral Resource and Energy(Shareholder)
Mr S.G Mantashe
Mr S.M Mnguni
Chief Executive Officer
Ms Nelisile Mncwango
Chief Financial Officer
Ms N.C Sibeko
Company Secretary and Legal Officer
Mr C. Van der Ross
- We will respect the rights of our stakeholders and promote a caring attitude.
- We will promote diversity and create an empowering working environment.
- Commitment to mandate – it’s promotion, defense and execution.
- Agility – anticipation, proactive problem solving and resourcefulness.
- Efficiency – professionalism and excellence in all that the State Diamond Trader does.
Our Strategic Goals
- Ensure continued sustainability of the State Diamond Trader.
- Be an efficient and professionally managed organisation.
- Promote and uphold efficient governance.
- Ensure constant and suitable supply and access to rough diamonds.
A diamond producer in South Africa means any person entitled to win or recover diamonds in terms of sections 19, 25 and 27 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act (Act No. 28 of 2002). Stated simply it is any legal entity that lawfully mines diamonds in South Africa.
The Diamond Second Amendment Act, 2005 | (extracts) Section 59B (2)
At the end of every production cycle, a diamond producer shall offer all the unpolished diamonds produced by him or her in that production cycle to the State Diamond Trader and specify the fair market value of those diamonds. This is to enable the State Diamond Trader to inspect such diamonds for the purpose of selecting diamonds for purchase as contemplated in subsection (1).
In addition, the State Diamond Trader requires that all diamond producers complete an Operational Plan which indicates the terms of business between the State Diamond Trader and the producer.
Annual Report 2018 - 2019
Annual Report of the State Diamond Trader as presented for the year ended 31 March 2019.
The report reflects the State Diamond Trader's overall performance over the past financial year in attaining its strategic goals as set out in the Strategic Plan.
Annual Performance Plan
Annual Performance Plan 2018-2019
The State Diamond Trader Annual Performance Plan is available here: